Introduction of Polo
Polo was brought to England in 1869. Owing largely to the initiative of one of the Club’s first Trustees, Lord De L’Isle and Dudley, and its Manager, Captain the Hon J D (later Lord) Monson, the game was established at Hurlingham in 1874.
The Club then became, and remained until the Second World War, the headquarters of Polo for the British Empire and was the scene of major competitions, notably the famous Westchester Cup matches between England and the United States of America. The estate was extended during the polo era with the acquisition of the Mulgrave House property (comprising the lake and the area to the north and west of the lake) in 1879 for £16,950 and the Broom House property (the present cricket field and the lawns to the east of the Clubhouse) in 1912.
In 1906 the Club embarked on a considerable scheme of improvements to the house and its precincts, for which Sir Edwin Lutyens was the architect. This was also the year that saw the end of pigeon shooting at Hurlingham.