Tennis began in 1877 with a ‘lawn racquet ground’ and the first ‘All England’ (Wimbledon) tournament, and croquet was introduced to the Club in about 1900. Magnificent fêtes, notably for Queen Victoria’s Jubilees in 1887 and 1897, were held and from 1903 there was a programme of concerts and pastoral plays.
During the Great War of 1914 to 1918, Yeomanry and an RNAS balloon detachment were based at the Club. In 1928 there was a disastrous Thames flood when water reached heights of six feet in the grounds and nine inches in the reception rooms. At one stage the Committee even considered moving the Club out of London.
From 1933 things improved with the building of the outdoor swimming pool. Squash courts were constructed in 1934 and bowls began a year later. The Club was then opened in winter with the re-establishment of a nine-hole golf course.